Sunday, November 24, 2013

Interesting perspective

We all know the stereotypes about Africa. Would it surprise you to know that Africans have some strange ideas about "others"? Africans believe that foreigners (especially white ones) have no problems, have unlimited money, cars and all have high status.
They see outsiders as delicate. After all, they usually ride instead of walk and rarely carry heavy loads.
I was once in a farming village and walked a few miles to my hosts farm and then a few miles back. As we came out of the bush a crowd was gathering and they all started to clap. It was later explained to me that the enthusiasm was because they were surprised that I could walk so far.
Interesting perspective, as all the people returning from the farm (except me) were carrying heavy loads  on their heads and I felt like such a wimp for walking unburdened.

http://www.culturalcollaborative.org

2 comments:

Rachel Biel said...

That's pretty funny, Ellie!

Eorr said...

Great reaading your post